Monday, November 19, 2007

Everyone get connected

This will not be a particularly new topic but it is my story today. Having meetings in the District of Columbia today, I had a break in my schedule of running around the city to look for a place to connect and de-compress. My first criteria was "free internet" access. (I believe the Starbucks charges - right?) Anyway I don't believe that I am unusual in that preference (at least I indicated on an online survey to the cafe that I would come back because of this service). This got me thinking about how we might end up choosing educational settings... parents choosing schools that provide one-to-one computing and free internet access to all homes in the school district. Lemon Grove school district may not be the only one but that is exactly what they are doing now. A low cost "e-pad" is given to students only after their homes have been configured to connect to the internet for free. This is particularly noteworthy and I if had school-aged children I would consider moving there!

How might your classroom activities change with this tool available at school and home for each of your students? It will be interesting to follow this (and others) district and see how they utilize these tools for learning.

No comments: